Upgrading your Differential Cover: Protecting Your Bronco Like a Boss
Howdy, Bronco owners! Today we're talking about one of the most important upgrades you can make to your off-roading ride: installing an upgraded differential cover. If you're not already familiar with them, differential covers protect your Bronco's differential from damage and wear. The differential is one of the most critical components of your vehicle's drivetrain, and replacing it can be a costly and time-consuming repair. That's why having a good differential cover is essential for any off-road or adventure-loving Bronco owner.
What is a Differential Cover, Anyway?
Before we dive into the details of why you should install a differential cover from a brand like ARB, let's first understand what they are. Differential covers are protective shields that cover the differential housing on your Bronco. The differential is the component that transfers power from the engine to the wheels, and it's located between the two rear wheels on your Bronco.
Why Should I Install a New Differential Cover?
If you're still on the fence about whether or not to install an upgraded differential cover on your Bronco, let's take a closer look at the benefits they offer.
First and foremost, differential covers provide excellent protection from rocks, debris, and other obstacles you may encounter while off-roading. When you're driving over uneven terrain, it's all too easy for rocks and other debris to hit your differential housing, causing costly damage. With a strengthened differential cover in place, you'll have an extra layer of protection for your differential that can help prevent damage, better than the stamped steel factory version. They also increase the structural rigidity for your axle.
In addition to protection, upgraded differential covers also offer improved heat dissipation. When your differential gets too hot, it can lead to premature wear and tear and potentially even failure.
And last but not least, ARB differential covers just look cool. They add an extra touch of style to your Bronco and make it look even more rugged. So not only will you be protecting your differential and improving its performance, but you'll also be turning heads wherever you go.
Overall, if you're serious about off-roading or just want to give your Bronco an extra edge, installing an upgraded differential cover is a smart choice.
How to Install a Differential Cover
Now that you know why installing an upgraded differential cover is a good move, let's go over how to do it. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get the job done:
A. Before you get started, here's a list of tools you'll need to install a new differential cover:
- Wrenches, sockets, and allen wrenches (depending on your specific Bronco model)
- Torque wrench
- Soft faced hammer
- Gasket scraper or razor blade
- RTV silicone sealant or a replacement Lubelocker gasket
- Enough differential oil to refill the housing
B. Step-by-step guide:
- Jack up the rear of your Bronco and place jack stands under it to support it.
- Remove the differential cover bolts and drain the old oil into a container; you will likely need to pop the old cover loose with a screwdriver or soft faced hammer.
- Use a gasket scraper or razor blade to remove any old gasket material from the differential housing and cover.
- Apply a thin layer of RTV silicone sealant to the differential cover mating surface (or use a replacement Lubelocker gasket) and position the cover over the differential housing.
- Thread the bolts into the cover and tighten them to the manufacturer's recommended torque settings using a torque wrench.
- Refill the differential with the appropriate amount and type of gear oil.
By following these steps, you should be able to install a new differential cover on your Bronco with ease. Just be sure to take your time and follow the instructions carefully. And if you're ever in doubt, don't hesitate to reach out to a professional for assistance.
Installing a new differential cover on your Bronco is one of the best upgrades you can make to protect your differential from damage and wear. Not only do they provide superior protection, but they also offer improved heat dissipation, increased durability, and add to the overall style of your ride. With the right tools and a little patience, you'll have your new differential cover installed in no time. And the peace of mind that comes with the extra protection you've gained for you important bits will be well worth the effort.
Image Credit: ARB, Ford